Free shipping to U.S. on orders $75+ Shop Now

Cart 0 items
GOTS is a voluntary processing standard, which means that it regulates the manufacturing stages of the textile supply chain such as the ginning, spinning, knitting/weaving, cut, make & trim.The standard stipulates requirements for both ecological and labour conditions in addition to ensuring the integrity of organically produced raw materials (for example wool and cotton).

The raw materials will have been grown to Organic principles that maintain soil health without the use of toxic pesticides and synthetic fertilisers. Organic production also includes animal welfare standards and prohibits the use of genetically modified organisms. We have long been told that Organic Farming is better for people and the planet, but by certifying to GOTS, businesses are ensuring that the organic principles (health, ecology, fairness & care) are adhered to throughout the entire supply chain, from farm to finished product.

Key facts:
  • GOTS approved products must contain at least 70% organic fibre content
  • GOTS approved products never contain potentially harmful chemicals which can be found in conventional textile production
  • GOTS approved companies are better for the environment (by managing their environmental impact, have high social standards, reduce energy and review water usage)
  • GOTS means safe working conditions, no discrimination and no child labour
  • GOTS approved products have the entire supply chain verified, even the farms must have certification to a legally recognised standard.
  • The details matter - buttons, threads, zips have to meet strict residue criteria of GOTS
  • It is a voluntary standard
Benefits of GOTS:
  • People – A large part of the Global Organic Textile Standard is dedicated to ensuring textile workers are protected through the Social Criteria. This includes a ban on forced and child labour, the right for adequate health and safety equipment, the right to freedom of association, a ban on harassment and violence and remuneration and assessment of the living wage. Workers are interviewed to gain a greater understanding of the workplace culture in addition to a review of company records.
  • Planet – GOTS have strict rules around the use of chemicals in textile production. Although chemical additives such as inks and dyes are permitted, they must be approved by GOTS before use. This is to prevent potentially toxic substances being released into the environment. Packaging is also regulated in GOTS, card or paper packaging must be recycled from pre-or post-consumer waste or certified according to a program that verifies compliance with sustainable forestry management principles. Use of plastic must be minimised and should be PVC free.
  • Product Integrity - GOTS state that all products must have a fibre composition of at least 70% organic fibres with the remaining 30% being tightly regulated. For example, a product could be 70% organic cotton, 30% recycled polyester. Virgin polyester is not permitted under GOTS
See All Articles
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.